Rapper Lil Mama releases an official single called “Sausage” piggybacking off the Vine viral “sausage movement” posted by various high school girls across the country.
Here’s 5 reasons why we’re not mad about it at all:
1. Lil Mama is reinventing herself. She’s bringing back the feminine b-girl image and if she is trying to introduce us to the new Lil Mama, having swag and confidence along with quality visuals is a great way to start.
2. She pays musical homage to Hip Hop & R&B! The track samples the greats such as Slick Rick, Teena Marie, Wu Tang Clan, Dougie Fresh, Big Sean, Missy Elliot and even channels Mary J. Blige in full costume! Lil Mama even shouts them out in the credits at the end of the video. That’s love.
3. Choreography on fleek. Lil Mama shows us what Summer looks like in New York-high top kicks, big jackets, fly rides, rolling with “the crew”, dancing in the streets and of course letting the kids join in on all the fun! She didn’t leave out the closed sets of choreography channeling elements of high end fashion and she also included some dance moves that even sparked a Janet Jackson nostalgia!
4. Finally another “believable” female rapper. Although she is obviously swagger jacking a lot of imagery from the greats, you can’t deny that she is a true lyricist. Lil Mama took me back to when Missy Elliot was at the height of her career – we knew she was gonna serve lots of energy, be lyrically clever and in every video Missy made us want to shake our “badonk-adonk-donks”! It’s been awhile since we have had another femcee make a good impression since the rise of Nicki Minaj. And neither of them pose as competition because clearly Nicki is in her own lane…no tea…no shade…just facts.
5. Summer is here – good vibes only! Everyone’s out of school, taking off from work and with all the bad weather we had this year, we are looking forward to staying warm and dry. What a great way to kick off summer with a new jam Lil Mama!
Honorable mention: Lil Mama’s song includes her own PSA.
“Eggs, bacon, grits, (Sausage), you betta use a condom if you taking that (Sausage)”…
With all the sexual sensationalism in hip hop music today, you really can’t knock her for sliding in a message about wrapping it up!
Check out the video and comment below with your thoughts: