KG Smooth welcomes, for the first time to the program, Mr. Ron Lockett from the Houston Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and Dr. Kelly Kearney. Ron and Dr. Kearney tells us about A Health Symposium happening on the U of H campus. We also talk about the mental health symposium sessions, which include, children’s mental health issues, alzheimer, dementia, bipolar and depression, and so many other mental health issues.
Source: KG Smooth / KBXX
We also had another pair of first timers on the program. Orjanel Lewis from PPECF and Stephen Carter from 100 Black Men of Houston came on the talk about Real Men Who Cook event at the Buffalo Soldiers Museum. It’s an event that showcases male chefs culinary skills. Top winners will have their dish featured at a local restaurant as “Dish of the Day”, a cash prize, and gift certificates.
1. Lady Gaga once told Billboard about her depression, “I’ve suffered through depression and anxiety my entire life. I just want these kids to know that this modern thing, where everyone is feeling shallow and less connected? That’s not human.”
1 of 11
2. Adele once admitted that anxiety attacks keep her from playing large festivals and arenas.
2 of 11
3. Jennifer Lawrence once revealed that she suffered from social anxiety as soon as she started school.
3 of 11
4. Kid Cudi checked himself into rehab in October for depression and suicidal thoughts.
4 of 11
5. Lena Dunham is often open about her anxiety and OCD, once saying, “To those struggling with anxiety, OCD, depression: I know it’s mad annoying when people tell you to exercise, and it took me about 16 medicated years to listen. I’m glad I did.”
5 of 11
6. After a stint in rehab for anorexia, bulimia, and cutting, Demi Lovato discovered that she was manic depressive/bipolar. She told People, “I feel like I am in control now, where for my whole life, I wasn’t in control.”
6 of 11
7. Kanye West reportedly felt suicidal after the death of his mother in 2007.
7 of 11
8. Zayn Malik’s anxiety is often so crippling, it’s caused him to cancel shows.
8 of 11
9. Britney Spears knows a thing or two about social anxiety, saying, “I’m not good in large groups, I just make everything awkward.”
9 of 11
10. The Rock talked to Oprah about his depression, saying, “I wish I had someone at that time who could just pull me aside and say, ‘Hey, it’s gonna be okay. It’ll be okay.'”
10 of 11
11. Kerry Washington once spoke about her depression and unhealthy relationship with food and exercise in college, saying, “I think it’s really important to take the stigma away from mental health.”
11 of 11
Continue reading Access Houston | Mental Health Symposium | Real Men Who Cook
True Strength: Celebrities Who’ve Been Open About Their Mental Health Issues
Kid Cudi just entered rehab for depression and suicidal thoughts. Here are other celebrities who have struggled with mental health issues.