Whether you dress it up for a gala or down for a chic afternoon out on the town, white is making its mark past Labor Day. Where did this rule that seems to have been around forever come from?
The whole idea of no white after Labor Day is an old adage pre-dating the 1900’s. Practically, white is worn in summer because the light color keeps one cool, whereas black absorbs heat. Not only did women and men wear this to stay cool pre-AC days, but also as a sign of wealth and status. Not only is white hard to keep clean, but also hard to not sweat in it (we all know those yellow stain culprits). Wearing white meant you could afford to wear white.
The exact date for the o”official end of summer,” happened in 1894 when Labor Day became a national holiday. Like everything, fashion evolves and our favorite stars are proving that you can do away with this fashion constricting rule.
Often referenced as winter white (not to be confused with a summer white), you will look classy and uber put together in this trend. Not sure how to wear white in the cooler months?
Keep on reading below for fashion influence from some of your favorite celebrities.
All white dresses on the red carpet are not out of the norm.
You will stand out and look festive and angelic in this color. Nervous about getting your ensemble dirty? Stick to champagne or white wine and stick with dry finger foods.
Rihanna proves ivory is iconic for this season. Rocking Celine pants, she looks so fab while out in NYC.
She paired the pants with a shearling coat for a fashionably warm look, playing up winter neturals. I’m in love with this ivory flared pants that will look perfect at the office paired with a black or nude turtleneck or even a cashmere sweater. Don’t listen to the old fashion adage that light colors are for the top and dark colors are for the bottom.
Don’t be afraid of pairing white on white, either. White on white looks elegant when worn as a pantsuit or a set. First Lady Michelle Obama shows us just how classic of a look this is while appearing on The Steve Harvey show.
She looks stunning and paired this look with beige heels. Give it a more modern look and pair with a metallic shoe in silver.
You see how great Serena Williams looks, pairing her white ensemble with a silver pump? Stylish!
All white looks great when worn as a pants set. Whether you choose a straight leg, wide leg or crop, the look is a winner as proved by Solange, Zendaya, and Kelly Rowland.
Beauties, take our poll below, do you wear white after Labor Day?
TREND REPORT: Sexy Little Black Dresses, Sheer Style, & Statement Pieces
TREND REPORT: 7 Trends For Spring Summer 2017 From Black Designers At NYFW
1. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 2 of 21
3. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. NATURALLY NEUTRALSource:Getty 4 of 21
5. LA LA ANTHONY, SERENA WILLIAMS, CIARASource:Getty 5 of 21
6. GO GRAYSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. GO GRAYSource:Hello Beautiful 7 of 21
8. STRIPESSource:Hello Beautiful 8 of 21
9. STRIPESSource:Getty 9 of 21
10. STRIPESSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. STRIPESSource:Getty 11 of 21
12. STRIPESSource:Getty 12 of 21
13. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 13 of 21
14. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 14 of 21
15. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Hello Beautiful 15 of 21
16. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 16 of 21
17. SHEER CONFIDENCESource:Getty 17 of 21
18. IN MY WHITE TEESource:Getty 18 of 21
19. IN MY WHITE TEESource:Getty 19 of 21
20. FLOURISH WITH FLORALSSource:Getty 20 of 21
21. FLOURISH IN FLORALSSource:Hello Beautiful 21 of 21
TREND REPORT: Winter White Brings Ethereal Elegance Straight Into Spring was originally published on hellobeautiful.com