A Georgia sheriff has found himself in hot water over his insensitive and racist statements on social media.
McIntosh County Sheriff’s Deputy Brant Gaither and another local officer were caught swapping racist and misogynistic jokes on Facebook, and allegedly making plans to pull over Black drivers. Internal affairs did an investigation into Deputy Gaither’s online conversations with former deputy, Jeremy Owens, ending with Gaither’s termination and Owens quitting his post, the Daily Mail reports.
Records from the internal investigation show that Gaither and Owens, who are both White men and Facebook friends, exchanged racially charged jokes on Facebook’s instant messaging service, which included the use of the term ‘colored people’ and the ‘N-word.’ In one conversation, the pair discussed an apparent plan to stop Black motorists while patrolling the highway.
Owens reportedly said, “It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. Might not get too many n***s,” to which Gaither replied, “I hope we get a few but [expletive] if we don’t.” In another exchange, Gaither sent his friend a meme featuring Martin Luther King Jr. and a caption that read, “I have a dream. That one day my people will not act like animals.” Owens reportedly responded, “Lol. That’ll never happen.”
Gaither’s messages were discovered by a colleague who was using his computer, and was let go in back in July. When he learned of his termination, the Sheriff reportedly acknowledged that he made a ‘stupid mistake,’ saying, “It was just a joke, we all do it.”
Deputy Owens was also let go for violating the department’s policies concerning immoral conduct and behavior unbecoming a deputy.
SOURCE: Daily Mail | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The 411 On Sanford Florida, The Police & Their Racist Past (LIST)
1. 1. Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in the town of Sanford, FL and the community is asking why. The police and the town's racist past has been an issue for years.Source: 1 of 5
2. 2. This isn't the first time the town of Sanford has had to deal with racism.Source: 2 of 5
3. 3. Former Sanford police Chief Brian Tooley had to resign after his Lieutenant's son, Justin Collison, 21, attacked a homeless black man.Source: 3 of 5
4. 4. In 2005, two white security guards killed Travares McGill, one of them the son of a Sanford Police officer.Source: 4 of 5
5. 5. Current police Chief Bill Lee said that he believed arresting Zimmerman would have been a violation of his civil rights. What about Trayvon's civil rights?Source: 5 of 5
Georgia Sheriff Used The N-Word, Mocked Dr. King And Hunted Black Motorists was originally published on globalgrind.com