Hey guys, JJ here! As a mommy I know some of the pressures our children face in school and especially during this month of April as it is the month of STAAR testing! I wanted to highlight a couple helpful tips you can share with your children or relatives for the testing period.
In addition to the obvious need of a full night’s rest, and nutritious breakfast here are a few more.
1. Remind your child to pack a sweater/light jacket, those testing rooms can get a little chilly. It’s best that your child is most comfortable while testing there’s enough discomfort going in.
2. Be sure to send them off with encouraging words, the support and encouragement will help them to approach the test with up beat, ready spirits!
3. Ensure your child that the standardized testing is not that different from other tests and exams, encourage them that they are ready, and very able based on their experience and performance in class already.
4. Remind them to use the strategies they’ve reviewed in class, those strategies help to break down the question and rule out non-possible answers.
5. Access to the internet is very helpful because there are practice tests online that are similar in content to the test they’ll take in their classrooms.
6. Remind them to do their very best! It’s gone’ be alright!