Here are voter registration frequently asked questions courtesy of the Harris County Voter Registration Department.
Q. Who is eligible to register to vote in Harris County elections?
According to the Secretary of State’s office, to be eligible to register to vote in Texas, you must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be a resident of Harris County;
- be 18 years old (you may register at 17 years and 10 months of age);
- not be a convicted felon (unless your sentence is completed, including any probation or parole); and
- not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
- totally mentally incapacitated; or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
Q. Where can I get a voter registration application?
Voter Registration Applications are available at our office downtown, or at any of our other branch locations throughout Harris County. They are also available at many libraries, post offices, Texas Department of Public Safety offices and offices of the Health and Human Services Commission in Harris County. Additionally, you may obtain an application by:
calling us at (713) 274-8200 sending your request by mail.
The mailing address is Don Sumners, Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar, P.O. Box 3527, Houston, Texas 77253-3527; or
requesting an application online.
Q. How soon before an election can I register and be able to vote?
You may register to vote at any time:
- Complete a postage-free post card application and mail it, or take it in person to any Harris County Tax Office location.
- You must be at least 17 years and ten months of age on the date your application is submitted.
- Your application must be submitted 30 days before the election date for you to be eligible to vote in that election.
- Your spouse, parent or child (acting as an agent) may complete and sign a voter registration application for you, provided that this person is a registered voter, or has applied for voter registration.
- If any of the information on the application is incomplete, you will be notified and required to send a second application. The second application must be received by the Harris County Voter Registrar within 10 days of the notice date.
Q. After I have registered, when will I receive my Voter Registration Certificate?
You will receive a Voter Registration Certificate within 30 days. Check your certificate to make sure all information is correct. If there is a mistake, immediately make corrections and return the certificate to the registrar. Present your certificate at the Harris County polling place on election day. You will receive a color-coded certificate every two years.
Q. What do I do if I have changed my address, but still live in Harris County?
Promptly notify the Harris County Voter Registrar in writing of your new address by:
- correcting the information on your current voter registration certificate and returning it to the voter registrar; or
- completing a voter registration change form (contact the Harris County Voter Registrar or the Secretary of State’s office for a form).
- Your spouse, parent or child (acting as an agent) may complete and sign a change of address form for you, provided that this person is a registered voter, or has applied for registration.
- You will receive a new, corrected certificate.
- You will be able to vote in your new precinct 30 days after your notice has been received.
- Meanwhile: You may vote a full ballot in your former precinct if your registration has not become effective in your new precinct.
- You must notify the Harris County Voter Registrar of your change of address as soon as possible.
Q. How do I contact the Harris County Voter Registration Department?
The telephone number for the Harris County Voter Registration Department is (713) 274-8200. We are located at 1001 Preston, 2nd Floor, Room 200, in Downtown Houston. Many of our Tax Office substations are able to serve you, without the need for you to go downtown. To find the Tax Office location nearest you, go to our Office Locations Page. Also, e-mail us and we’ll respond to your request as soon as possible. Our mailing address is: Don Sumners, Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar, P.O. Box 3527, Houston, Texas, 77253-3527.