More than 200 students at Eastern Technical High School in Essex, Maryland gathered Thursday morning to express their anger over a racist picture from their school posted on social media by a fellow student, CBS News Baltimore reports.
“The principal and staff decided to allow the students of all races and ethnicities to come together for a peaceful protest to speak out to what they saw as blatantly racist,” a spokesman for Baltimore County Schools said, according to the news outlet.
CBS Baltimore said this image went viral after it was posted.
The media outlet blurred out the racial slur written in the sand of the baseball diamond. A caption below the epithet says “baseball is a white mans sport.”
School officials said the student responsible for posting the image was disciplined but declined to give any details, said the news station.
At the demonstration, “Black people came up to give testimonials, prayers. Christians came up. Muslims came up. Everybody came up to represent, not only this as a student body, but our school to show that we’re not racist,” senior Mark Buckland told WBAL-TV.
Another student protester said, “They just claim that it was a joke, but this type of stuff is not really a joking matter,” CBS Baltimore reported.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
Maryland High School Students Protest Racist Social Media Post was originally published on newsone.com