After months of criticism with the hashtag #AirbnbWhileBlack, the home-sharing site revealed a series of changes Thursday morning that finally address ongoing reports of racial discrimination, according to various news outlets.
Part of the changes to Airbnb will include less of an emphasis on user photo displays and expansion of its instant booking program, which allows guests to reserve rooms without host approval. NBC News reports the site will also reformat the “reservation request system that emphasizes trip details, reviews and verified IDs.” Beginning November 1, users will have to accept an agreement confirming they will treat everyone equally with respect and dignity.
“Bias and discrimination have no place on Airbnb, and we have zero tolerance for them,” CEO Brian Chesky wrote in an email to users. “Unfortunately, we have been slow to address these problems, and for this I am sorry.”
In an op-ed for The Huffington Post, former Attorney General Eric Holder – who was tapped by Airbnb to address discrimination concerns – announced the company took three months to survey the claims made by hosts and users, questioned employees at every level of Airbnb, and also reached out to civil rights advocates and organizations for input.
Holder also revealed that if a host is identified as discriminatory, engineers will use tracking tools to identify the offender. If a user experiences racism, the site will dedicate resources to help that user find housing.
The Congressional Black Caucus released a statement of support Thursday, commending the company for “taking this significant first step to address racial discrimination and exclusion of African-Americans and other minorities on the company’s platform.”
Airbnb will not only address diversity externally, but internally. The site announced it would work to diversify senior level staff and customer service representatives.
FLOTUS Then & Now: Michelle Obama Looks Better Than Ever!
1. Michelle Obama in 2008Source:Getty 1 of 20
2. Michelle Obama in 2008Source:Getty 2 of 20
3. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Getty 3 of 20
4. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Getty 4 of 20
5. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Getty 5 of 20
6. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Getty 6 of 20
7. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Getty 7 of 20
8. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Getty 8 of 20
9. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Getty 9 of 20
10. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Getty 10 of 20
11. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:Getty 11 of 20
12. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:Getty 12 of 20
13. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:Getty 13 of 20
14. Michelle Obama in 2013Source:Getty 14 of 20
15. Michelle Obama in 2014Source:Getty 15 of 20
16. Michelle Obama in 2014Source:Getty 16 of 20
17. Michelle Obama in 2015Source:Getty 17 of 20
18. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Getty 18 of 20
19. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Getty 19 of 20
20. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Getty 20 of 20
Airbnb Makes Sweeping Overhauls After Complaints Of Racism was originally published on newsone.com