The Purple Rain singer was found unresponsive in his Paisley Park Studios elevator on Thursday, April 21, his sudden departure rocking the world with grief.
On the possibIlity of Tyka inheriting the estate:
Tyka is Prince’s only full biological sibling. The 7-time Grammy winner was preceded in death by both of his parents John L. Nelson and Mattie Shaw, who divorced in 1966 when Tyka was 6 and Prince was 8. With their parents deceased, Tyka is Prince’s closest living relative.
On Tyka being a musician like her bother:
Like Prince and her jazz musician parents, Tyka has a love for music. According to a 2008 interview with City Pages, she began writing songs when she was 10 and “hasn’t collaborated” with her brother Prince since they were young. During her music career, Tyka released six albums with the most recent one in 2008, a gospel album titled A Brand New Me. The mother of two also plays 4 different instruments: piano, guitar, bass and clarinet.
On Tyka battling drug addiction and bouncing back from prostitution:
Tyka battled an addiction to crack cocaine and prostituted herself to support her children, according to the September 23, 2003, issue of The National Enquirer. “I was a single mother and my boys were babies. I sold my body for food, money and pampers. I pawned the car Prince had given me and sold the kids’ TV for drugs,” she said in the “exclusive interview.” In the early 2000s, Prince entered Tyka into a rehab program, and in 2008 reignited her music career after getting sober.
On her estranged relationship with Prince:
In her interview with City Pages, Tyka described her childhood in Minnesota. “I was the overweight kid who didn’t have a boyfriend. I listened to other people say, ‘You’re ugly, you’re fat, you’re stupid,’ and I believed it,” she said. “My brother, he just thought I was crazy.” The siblings had a strained relationship early in Prince’s career. “I love my brother. But I’m not a yo-yo. He can’t just keep spinning me in and out of his life,” she shared with The National Enquirerin 2003.
Click here for more from PEOPLE.
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Ladies Love Purple Prince: 19 Women Who Ruled Prince's World
1. Singer and percussionist Sheila E shot to stardom after working with Prince during the 'Purple Rain' era.Source:Getty 1 of 9
2. Mayte Garcia was Prince's dancer when they met. The couple married in 1996 and divorced in 2000 after the death of their child.Source:Getty 2 of 9
3. Stop the press! Prince had more than just an eye for Kim Basinger during the filming of 'Batman'.Source:Getty 3 of 9
4. Manuela Testolini was married to Prince from 2001 to 2006.Source:Getty 4 of 9
5. Misty Copeland performed with Prince on his tours in the 2000s. Were they romantically linked? You tell us!Source:Getty 5 of 9
6. Bria Valentine collaborated with Prince musically and also dated him in the 2000s.Source:Getty 6 of 9
7. Nona Gaye worked musically with Prince in the 1990s and has also been romantically linked to The Purple One.Source:Getty 7 of 9
8. Before hating each other's guts, Madonna and Prince dated very briefly in 1985 and recorded a duet on Madonna's album 'Like A Prayer'.Source:Getty 8 of 9
9. The rumor is that Prince and Ananda Lewis dated once upon a time. Regardless, Ananda is devastated over The Purple One's death.Source:Getty 9 of 9
Who Is Prince’s Sister, Tyka Nelson? Here’s What We Know… was originally published on globalgrind.com