The Obamas recently arrived in the U.K. to celebrate Queen Elizabeth‘s 90th birthday. During their trip across the pond, while meeting with the royal family, Michelle Obama honored the passing of music royalty with a purple Oscar de la Renta dress and purple Narciso Rodriguez coat.
While Mrs. Obama is known for her colorful wardrobe (and it’s certainly possible that the outfit was pre-planned), we think the purple-on-purple ensemble was a subtle tribute to Prince.
President Obama released a statement on the untimely passing of the legend.
“Few artists have influenced the sound and trajectory of popular music more distinctly, or touched quite so many people with their talent. As one of the most gifted and prolific musicians of our time, Prince did it all. Funk. R&B. Rock and roll. He was a virtuoso instrumentalist, a brilliant bandleader, and an electrifying performer,” said Obama.
17 Artists You Probably Didn’t Know Were Influenced By Prince
1. Maroon 5 has covered Prince’s “Purple Rain”Source: 1 of 17
2. The Weeknd has always said that Prince has been a huge influence on their vocal soundSource: 2 of 17
3. Prince can be found in Pharrell’s unique musical styleSource: 3 of 17
4. Bruno Mars has called Prince one of his heroes and has paid tribute to The Purple One a number of timesSource: 4 of 17
5. Usher has said in many interviews that he is influenced by PrinceSource: 5 of 17
6. Janelle Monáe, known for her unique style, teamed up with Prince on the song “Given Em What They Love”Source: 6 of 17
7. Andre 3000’s style and showmanship is undeniably influenced by PrinceSource: 7 of 17
8. Justin Timberlake, influenced by many legends, wrote a touching tribute to The Purple One on InstagramSource: 8 of 17
9. Prince is an obvious influence on Miguel who is often called this generation’s PrinceSource: 9 of 17
10. Frank Ocean wrote a Tumblr post speaking to why he is a true Prince fanboySource: 10 of 17
11. Soul crooner D’Angelo has covered Prince’s “She’s Always in My Hair”Source: 11 of 17
12. Alicia Keys not only has been influenced by Prince but she also covered “How Come You Don’t Call Me”Source: 12 of 17
13. Performer extraordinaire Beyonce has obvious influences on her stage presence from The Purple OneSource: 13 of 17
14. St. Vincent has openly discussed how Prince influenced her debut album.Source: 14 of 17
15. One-of-a-kind songstress Lady Gaga has said Prince influenced her greatly on her ‘Born This Way’ albumSource: 15 of 17
16. Beck has covered Prince songs many times and has credited him as an influence. Plus, Beck can play over 12 instruments…sound familiar?Source: 16 of 17
17. Lenny’s musicianship is undenied, just like influencer Prince. Lenny and Prince have even performed together in a battle of the guitars: https://youtu.be/RC34ZcDiCagSource: 17 of 17
This Is How Michelle Obama Honored The Passing Of Prince was originally published on hellobeautiful.com