Jemal Earle, the husband of Nicole Paultre Bell, has filed a federal lawsuit against a police officer who allegedly attacked him outside a traffic courthouse in New York City.
The New York Daily News reports the incident happened in 2014 in Queens when Earle, 34, was disputing a ticket at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Earle, who is Black, claims the ticket was given to him after he was racially profiled by Officer Anthony Rivelli. He was subsequently found guilty of the unknown moving violation.
Via the Daily News:
“[He] was walking toward the second floor exit when Rivelli called out to him, ‘Come here,’ according to the suit filed Wednesday in Brooklyn Federal Court.
Earle’s lawyer Jeffrey Weiner said a DMV video shows his client walk over to the cop and get punched in the face without provocation.
Rivelli claimed Earle made a verbal threat towards him. Earle was arrested and charged with obstructing government administration, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
The charges were later dismissed based on DMV video footage.
Earle is married to Nicole Paultre Bell, the ex-fiancée of Sean Bell. NYPD officers shot the father of one 50 times on his wedding day in 2006. The three officers charged in his death were acquitted of manslaughter. Bell’s family received a $3.25 million settlement in 2014.
Earle’s lawsuit is currently being reviewed by the city’s legal department.
SOURCE: NY Daily News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
Husband Of Sean Bell’s Ex-Fiancée Files Lawsuit Over Alleged Attack By NYPD Cop was originally published on globalgrind.com