Sunday night’s Golden Globes were full of inappropriate jokes, but MTV Australia took things way too far.
The Australian version of the music channel sent out a since-deleted tweet which read,
“Where are the English subtitles? We have no idea what @AmericaFerrera and @EvaLongoria are saying.”
Prior to presenting the award, the two Latinas joked about being confused with other Hispanic actresses.
Hi, I’m Eva Longoria, not Eva Mendes,” said Eva Longoria.
And hi, I’m America Ferrera, not Gina Rodriguez,” said Ferrera. Rodriguez was previously misidentified as Ferrera on the official Golden Globes’ Twitter account when the nominations were announced last month.
After Twitter went into an uproar about the ill-fated joke, MTV Australia deleted it and offered an apology and an explanation.
“Our Tweet was in reference to @EvaLongoria & @AmericaFerrera’s #GoldenGlobes joke. We sincerely apologise for causing offence,” they tweeted, and also agreed to leave the jokes to host Ricky Gervais.
Welp, 2016’s first social media flub is in the books.
SOURCE: PEOPLE, Twitter | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
Red Carpet Recap: The 2016 Golden Globe Awards
29 photos Launch gallery
1. The Smith's have arrived. Will & Jada brought their son Trey for the night's festivities.
1 of 29
2. Kevin Hart and his fiancee, Eniko, complemented each other perfectly.
2 of 29
3. Jennifer Lopez slayed, per usual. Rocking dazzling stilettos and a thigh-high slit, could this be a best dressed nominee?
3 of 29
4. Zendaya looked beautiful in Marchesa.
4 of 29
5. Laverne Cox kept it classic and elegant in Elizabeth Kennedy.
5 of 29
6. Regina King dazzled in gold.
6 of 29
7. America Ferrera shined in a vibrant yellow dress.
7 of 29
8. Eva Longoria rocked winter white with floral embellishments.
8 of 29
9. Wiz Khalifa walked the carpet with his mother.
9 of 29
10. It's a big night for Wiz- he's nominated for "See You Again."
10 of 29
11. Giuliana Rancic in Alex Perry.
11 of 29
12. "Jane The Virgin" star Gina Rodriguez was all smiles in a stunning ball gown.
12 of 29
13. Sam Smith suited up in style for the big occasion.
13 of 29
14. Another lady of E!, Maria Menounous came out for the Globes as well.
14 of 29
15. Rosie Hungtington-Whiteley and Jason Statham. How gorgeous does Rosie look?
15 of 29
16. Let's hope we get another amazing acceptance speech from Viola Davis tonight.
16 of 29
17. David Oyelowo looked sharp in Dolce & Gabbana.
17 of 29
18. Corinne Foxx, Jamie Foxx's daughter, is the 2016 Miss Golden Globes.
18 of 29
19. Nominated for her role as Cookie, Taraji P. Henson walked the carpet in a white gown which she accessorized with stunning jewels.
19 of 29
20. Channing Tatum and Jenna Dawson. Flawless.
20 of 29
21. Melissa Mccarthy was a sight to see in a metallic, blue gown.
21 of 29
22. Are you feeling Queen Latifah's look?
22 of 29
23. Jennifer Lawrence's striking red gown hugged her figure in all the right places.
23 of 29
24. OITNB and The Wiz star Uzo Aduba arrived in head-to-toe sequin.
24 of 29
25. Katy Perry in Prada.
25 of 29
26. The Goddess, Jane Fonda, stepped out in ruffles.
26 of 29
27. Lady Gaga won a Golden Globe for her role in AHS: Hotel.
27 of 29
28. Michael B. Jordan arrived looking dapper.
28 of 29
29. Angela Bassett clearly ages backwards.
29 of 29
MTV Australia Apologizes For Cringe-Worthy Tweet About Eva Longoria & America Ferrera Needing “English Subtitles” was originally published on globalgrind.com