Hundreds of people lined up outside the Avalon in Hollywood on Sunday, Dec. 6 for the T-Boz Unplugged showcase, presented by Wet n Wild. The concert is the girl group star’s second annual event, which is aimed at bringing awareness to sickle-cell anemia, in addition to raising money for the Sickle Cell Foundation Support Group.
The show was hosted by 19-year-old star Zendaya and featured performances by Kat Graham, Kiana Brown, SWV, and Krayzie Bone of Bone Thugs N Harmony. Celebrities who came out to support the charity included Quincy Brown, India Love, and Eva Marcille.
Global Grind hit the red carpet to catch up with T-Boz and discuss her battle with sickle-cell, the upcoming TLC album, and her Christmas wish list. Though a legend, the 45-year-old singer credits her humility to her mother.
“She told me if I always kept my morals and integrity and character in tact, she would always support anything I did,” she said. “Even at my age I would be ashamed if I did something bad, because I care what my mom thinks.”
She explained her mom also gave her strength through her ongoing battle with sickle-cell, as she reflected on her seven-year-old self being told by doctors she wouldn’t live past 35, ever have kids, and that she would be disabled.
In other news, TLC raised over $430,000 for a final album and received backlash for its delay. The hashtag #TLCIsGoingToJailParty started trending on Twitter last month. The all girl group shared details about the album at the end of September, saying, “We are moving the album back to 2016, so that we will have more time to finish the record the TLC way.”
T-Boz was asked if she wanted to set the record straight for doubters who don’t believe the album was really coming, and her response was “no.”
“Not one word,” she continued to say. “Most people that talk smack don’t research, so I don’t have nothing to defend.”
She did tell us that she’s been working and recently conducted a TLC writing camp that came out with 36 songs. “I still have my hustle,” she said.
With Christmas right around the corner, the only thing T-Boz told us that was on her wish list was to be healthy and happy. Not to mention, she has a major surprise we’ll find out about next year.
12 Pictures Of TLC Looking Crazy, Sexy, Cool (PHOTOS)
1. TLC at the 1995 Billboard Music Awards.1 of 12
2. TLC at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards in Los Angeles.2 of 12
3. TLC rehearsing for the MTV 20th Anniversary party, "MTV20: Live and Almost Legal" at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC.3 of 12
4. TLC at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards in Brooklyn.4 of 12
5. TLC at the iHeartRadio Music Festival at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.5 of 12
6. TLC attend the iHeartRadio Music Festival at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.6 of 12
7. TLC stop by Music Choice's "You & A" in NYC.7 of 12
8. Chilli at the "Crazy, Sexy, Cool" Premiere Event in NYC.8 of 12
9. T-Boz at the "Crazy, Sexy, Cool" Premiere Event in NYC.9 of 12
10. Left Eye performing at the 1999 MTV Music Video Awards in NYC.10 of 12
11. Left-Eye at the 14th Annual Soul Train Music Awards.11 of 12
12. Left Eye at the 2000 Essence Awards in NYC.12 of 12
T-Boz Reveals She’s Working Hard On Final TLC Album was originally published on globalgrind.com