Nicki Minaj called Miley Cyrus out at the 2015 MTV VMAs, and though it looked like Miley had absolutely no idea how to respond to Nicki’s shade at the time, viewers may have been a little misled.
If you watched the eventful award show on Sunday night, what you saw was the half-naked pop star completely freeze up as the breeze blew her way, before she half-heartedly congratulated Nicki on her “Best Hip-Hop Video” win.
In previously unreleased footage, however, we can now see that Miley’s real reaction was a lot less “deer in headlights.” MTV explains:
“See, one of our cams caught Miley’s REAL reaction to the dig. And here’s what really happened: when Miley mouthed “what?” it was actually during an earlier part of Nicki’s acceptance speech, when she was thanking her “epic” fans.
Here’s the kicker: Miley was already facing Nicki before the dig heard ’round the world. She turned to Nicki and smiled just as she started to say “And now…”, seemingly thinking that Nicki was about to throw it back over to her to introduce the next segment.”
If you missed it, Nicki accepted her win and then changed the subject with:
“And now back to this bitch that had a lot to say about me the other day in the press – Miley, what’s good?”
After throwing a little attitude herself, Miley responded:
“We’re all in this industry. We all do interviews and we all know how they manipulate sh-t. Nicki, congratu-fuckin-lations.” The camera then cut back to Nicki, who seemed to mouth back, “Bitch.”
Check out the new footage just above. In other MTV VMA news, the highly promoted award show broke social media records with 64 million total social interactions. From Deadline:
MTV’s Video Music Awards led the way on Instagram last night with a total of 64 million social interactions. Those are “huge numbers,” according to a source with the social media app. For comparison’s sake, last night’s VMAs generated 21.4 million tweets, which reached 11.8 million people, the Viacom-owned network boasted. Additionally, 16 million people had 39 million Facebook interactions related to the VMAs yesterday.
Between the Nicki-Miley beef and Kanye’s 12-minute speech, we’d expect nothing less.
SOURCE: MTV, Deadline | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
RED CARPET RECAP: The 2015 MTV Video Music Awards
30 photos Launch gallery
1. The Kardashians and Jenners are in the building.
1 of 30
2. Fresh off the success of his new single, Justin Bieber comes through in jeans and a jacket.
2 of 30
3. The oldest and the youngest.
3 of 30
4. Still got it! Britney Spears was everything in a see-through sequined number.
4 of 30
5. Kim Kardashian arrived with her hubby, Kanye West, who will receive the 2015 Video Vanguard Award.
5 of 30
6. Pharrell and his wife were the red carpet's denim duo.
6 of 30
7. Ciara rocked noticeably shorter hair as she arrived in a daring dress.
7 of 30
8. Yas! Nicki Minaj stunned in gold.
8 of 30
9. O'Shea Jackson Jr. kept things casual.
9 of 30
10. Rocking a jacket that reads, "KKKops are the biggest gang," clearly Vic Mensa chose to make a statement.
10 of 30
11. Cara Delevingne in Saint Laurent.
11 of 30
12. Rocking a patterned frock, JoJo is still a perfect 10.
12 of 30
13. Selena Gomez proves that you can never go wrong with all black everything.
13 of 30
14. Gigi Hadid absolutely shined.
14 of 30
15. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen gave us yet another reason to consider them #RelationshipGoals.
15 of 30
16. Nick Jonas rocked head-to-toe leather.
16 of 30
17. Amber Rose and Blac Chyna continued their BFF escapades in matching outfits.
17 of 30
18. Jeremy Scott kept it vibrant in color. Much like this year's Moon Man trophy.
18 of 30
19. Miguel was looking fly in YSL.
19 of 30
20. Taylor Swift opted for a sequined top and trousers combo.
20 of 30
21. Demi Lovato was pretty in pink.
21 of 30
22. Miley Cyrus narrowly avoids nip-slips in Versace.
22 of 30
23. Charlamagne flashed a smile for the photogs before hosting the red carpet.
23 of 30
24. Kelly Osbourne attended to host the pre-show.
24 of 30
25. Tori Kelly flaunted her toned legs in short-shorts.
25 of 30
26. Major squad goals.
26 of 30
27. Rocsi Diaz didn't shy away from flashing cleavage in a revealing LBD.
27 of 30
28. Vanessa Hudgens was simply beautiful in an elegant gown.
28 of 30
29. Work! Rita Ora's feathers are unstoppable.
29 of 30
30. Praise Him.
30 of 30