Rappers who make songs for their newborn children are so damn cute.
It’s been a minute since we’ve heard from Macklemore and his producing partner Ryan Lewis, but after welcoming a baby girl with his wife a few months back, and then relapsing on weed and alcohol, the “Thrift Store” rapper is back.
On his Soundcloud account, the Seattle artist wrote an endearing note to his fans:
“I wish that I could say that I was in a “better place” when I found out the news. It would make for a far more polished and respectable story. But I think back to that night: praying on the floor at 2am as Tricia went to the bathroom to take the pregnancy test I’d just purchased from Walgreens. I was scared. Scared to start working on new music. Scared of trying again and failing. Scared of the process of staring at myself through a page and seeing someone that I wasn’t proud of. Someone that I didn’t like. Someone that wasn’t ready to be a dad.
I’ve always had some make-believe image in my head of who I would be as a father. I held on to clear expectations of where I wanted be in my career, my age, my level of self-care, and my maturity. I basically assumed that I’d have it all together. But in actuality the hypothetical “dad” version of me looked completely different than the man whose heart was beating out of his chest on the carpet, praying to a god or spirit I hadn’t talked to in months. When Tricia walked out of the bathroom, I knew. And I knew I had to change.
5 months later we were recording in a remote cabin away from the density that is Seattle. I was finally having fun in the studio for the first time in years. Songs were getting made, finally. I was going back to the city once a week to attend a birthing class with Tricia. When I got back to the cabin the next day, Ryan had made a new beat that would eventually become the song you’re listening to. Half of it is advice about growing up. The other half is trying to figure out how to grow up myself.
When you try to escape yourself, life has an interesting way of creating situations that force you to come back. To look at who you are. This is why “Growing up” felt like the right song to re-emerge with. It’s where I’ve been the last year, through all the ups and downs. We didn’t want to do a big campaign or anything over the top with this. We just wanted to put out good music, directly to the people that have been here since the beginning. Thank you for your patience. Hope you enjoy.
And if you’re wondering…
Our daughter, Sloane Ava Simone Haggerty was born 2 months ago on May 29th. There is nothing like the joy and happiness that comes from bringing a baby into this universe. She has filled my heart in ways that I never knew were possible. She is the love of my life. This song is for her.
Macklemore and Ryan are readying The Heist album follow-up, which is scheduled to drop in 2016. Press play on “Growing Up” below.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Every Single Picture Beyonce Has Posted Of Blue Ivy… EVER (PHOTOS)
1. Party like you're Blue!1 of 37
2. Blue Ivy is definitely an angel in all-white.2 of 37
3. A party for Blue.3 of 37
4. Blue can't get over how flawless the Versace mansion is.4 of 37
5. Bey shared this cute pic of her holding Blue Ivy's one hand, while Dora The Explorer held the other.5 of 37
6. Crown!6 of 37
7. Beach Beauty Blue.7 of 37
8. Jay Z lifts his two favorite women in the air.8 of 37
9. Angel and the Bee.9 of 37
10. Blue Ivy is definitely a little fashionista.10 of 37
11. Miss Blue Carter.11 of 37
12. The Carters brought their baby girl out to enjoy the Versace Mansion on New Year's Eve.12 of 37
13. Carter girls turn up.13 of 37
14. Playtime with dad.14 of 37
15. Oh nothing, just a trip to the White House.15 of 37
16. Shady Blue.16 of 37
17. Bring Blue to work day.17 of 37
18. Hello Brooklyn, Hello Blue.18 of 37
19. Blue and Bey are definitely unbothered.19 of 37
20. An Easter kiss from mommy.20 of 37
21. Blue Blue sleeping peacefully in her mom's arms.21 of 37
22. She can't see the haters.22 of 37
23. Blue rocked her sun hat while taking a stroll in the sand with her dad.23 of 37
24. The Carters took Blue for a spring swing.24 of 37
25. OTR BTS Bey & Blue.25 of 37
26. Bunned up beauty.26 of 37
27. Trampoline fun.27 of 37
28. OTR with Blue Ivy in the cut.28 of 37
29. They woke up like this.29 of 37
30. Phones and Flawlessness.30 of 37
31. Yacht Life.31 of 37
32. Presenting Miss Blue Ivy Carter - featuring the Eiffel Tower.32 of 37
33. Kisses from Daddy.33 of 37
34. A Very Blue Christmas.34 of 37
35. Blue the camera girl.35 of 37
36. B.I.C is too cute in her polka dot dress.36 of 37
37. #TheCarters.37 of 37
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis “Growing Up (Sloane’s Song)” Feat. Ed Sheeran (NEW MUSIC) was originally published on globalgrind.com