Source: Jupiterimages / Getty
History is being made, as Ireland is set to approve same-sex marriage.
Described as an unusually high turnout, more than 3 million have voted to answer the question of whether Ireland’s constitution should be amended to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry.
Government ministers have said they believe it will pass, while “no” campaigners have conceded defeat. An official result is expected this afternoon.
In the capital of Dublin, it appeared that 75% of the votes already counted were in favor of same-sex marriage.
Same-sex marriage is currently legal in 19 countries. If approved, Ireland will become the 20th and the first to do so through a popular vote.
The time for marriage equality is now.
SOURCE: BBC | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Twitter Reacts To Obama's Same-Sex Marriage Endorsement (LIST)
7 photos Launch gallery
1. 1. Thank you, Mr. President. RT @BarackObama: "Same-sex couples should be able to get married." Photo Credit: NewJersey.com
1 of 7
2. 2. Historic day for justice and equality. Our United States President Obama endorses marriage equality. I rejoice in this announcement. Photo Credit: News One
2 of 7
3. 3. Thank you Mr. President for your support of gay marriage...
3 of 7
4. 4. Today marks progress for the civil rights of LGBT Americans and all Americans. Photo Credit: MSNBC
4 of 7
5. 5. President Obama's announcement in support of marriage equality is welcome news for American families. I thank the president for his support for equality... Photo Credit: U.S. House
5 of 7
6. 6. Even though he did it a little late under political pressure - very happy to hear the President come out in support of gay marriage. Photo Courtesy: Daily Beast
6 of 7
7. 7. @BarackObama Thx for your support of full #marriageequality today. Your leadership in the fight for #lgbt equality means so much.
7 of 7
Ireland Is Set To Approve Same-Sex Marriage
was originally published on