According to ESPN, “Money” Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith in a text message that he would give “Pacman” a rematch.
The news comes as a surprise, as the undefeated boxer looked to be retiring after fulfilling his fight contract with Showtime. He has one fight left, and it would take place in September. If he decides to do Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Part 2, it would be once his contract is up.
Pacman’s shoulder injury is pretty serious and will keep him out of the ring for at least nine months.
SB Nation reported: “Pacquiao’s injury requires surgery that will keep him out of the ring for nine months to a year. Previously, it was believed Mayweather would retire after one last fight in September, the final bout on his enormous contract with Showtime.
“If Mayweather and Pacquiao were to fight again, it would mean Floyd would have to fight again after that contract. That would open the possibility for Mayweather to finish his career 50-0, surpassing the 49-0 mark set by Rocky Marciano.”
The big pay day and the chance of surpassing Rocky Marciano are definitely motivation for Floyd, but is it all really worth it?
“Money” has more money than he could ever need and going down undefeated will help his future standings in the greatest ever conversation.
The first fight lacked “punch,” with a Mayweather doing his thing and moving around, and a Pacquiao that was easily a step behind.
Aside from that, the casual boxing fan was largely disappointed with the outcome of the fight. Will they be willing to spend another 100 dollars to watch another snoozefest?
Celebrities Sit Ringside For Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Night
1. Beyonce and Jay ZSource:Getty 1 of 31
2. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 2 of 31
3. Lil Wayne and Christina MilianSource:Getty 3 of 31
4. Charles BarkleySource:Getty 4 of 31
5. Cassie Ventura and Sean 'Diddy' CombsSource:Getty 5 of 31
6. Claire Danes, Bridgid Coulter and Don CheadleSource:Getty 6 of 31
7. Michael Eric DysonSource:Getty 7 of 31
8. Charlotte MckinneySource:Getty 8 of 31
9. Liev SchreiberSource:Getty 9 of 31
10. Michael KeatonSource:Getty 10 of 31
11. Antoine Fuqua and Jake GyllenhaalSource:Getty 11 of 31
12. Denzel Washington Director Antoine FuquaSource:Getty 12 of 31
13. Boxer Shane Mosley and Bella GonzalezSource:Getty 13 of 31
14. Bryant JenningsSource:Getty 14 of 31
15. Boxer Felix VerdejoSource:Getty 15 of 31
16. Michael J. FoxSource:Getty 16 of 31
17. Comedian Niecy Nash and Jay TuckerSource:Getty 17 of 31
18. Don Cheadle and Bow WowSource:Getty 18 of 31
19. Reggie MillerSource:Getty 19 of 31
20. William Bumpus Jr. and TV personality Gayle KingSource:Getty 20 of 31
21. Mike TysonSource:Getty 21 of 31
22. Drew BarrymoreSource:Getty 22 of 31
23. Michael StrahanSource:Getty 23 of 31
24. Clint EastwoodSource:Getty 24 of 31
25. Donald and Melania TrumpSource:Getty 25 of 31
26. Sheryl UnderwoodSource:Getty 26 of 31
27. Don Cheadle and Sugar Ray LeonardSource:Getty 27 of 31
28. Ben AffleckSource:Getty 28 of 31
29. Actor Glynn Turman and Jo-Ann AllenSource:Getty 29 of 31
30. Actress Diane Kruger and actor Joshua JacksonSource:Getty 30 of 31
31. Stephen Moyer and Anna PaquinSource:Getty 31 of 31
READ MORE ON THE URBAN DAILY
Is A Floyd Mayweather Vs. Manny Pacquiao Rematch Going To Happen? was originally published on theurbandaily.com