The February 10 death of Little Caesars founder Mike Ilitch prompted his hometown of Detroit to reflect on the important philanthropic efforts he made to the community, WXYZ reports.
For over ten years, the Detroit businessman paid the rent of civil rights icon Rosa Parks, according to a 2014 news article from Sports Business Daily. Though locally reported, the information was not widely known.
Ilitch stepped in after a 1994 burglary in Park’s apartment raised concerns over her safety.
The outlet spoke with former federal appeals judge Damon Keith, who produced a check for $2,000 from Little Caesars Enterprises, which was written out to Riverfront Apartments. Keith was made the executor of Parks’ estate after her death in 2005.
Keith told Sports Business Daily that when news of the burglary spread, he reached out to the owner of Riverfront Apartments, Alfred Taubman, who vowed to help Parks find placement.
After Ilitch read about Parks’ ordeal in the local paper he reached out to Keith, promising to pay her rent for however long was needed.
“Mike Ilitch is totally committed to Detroit,” Keith said to the Business Daily. “He brought the Little Caesars corporate offices here. He saved the Fox Theatre. He built Comerica Park, and he kept the hockey and baseball teams thriving here when times were tough. But of all the incredible things he has done for the city, people should know what he did for Rosa Parks.”
20 Pics Of Celebrities Protesting (PHOTOS)
1. Kanye West joined Russell Simmons for the Occupy Wall Street protests.Source: 1 of 19
2. Jay Z and the Brooklyn Nets stand in solidarity with Eric Garner.Source: 2 of 19
3. Dave Chappelle posed with his hands up for Mike Brown on the red carpet.Source: 3 of 19
4. J. Cole joined the protests in Ferguson after Mike Brown’s death.Source: 4 of 19
5. Q-Tip joined the Mike Brown protests in New York.Source: 5 of 19
6. Beyonce and Jay Z supported Trayvon Martin’s parents after his death.Source: 6 of 19
7. Russell Brand joined the Occupy Wall Street protests.Source: 7 of 19
8. Not only did Lupe Fiasco join the OWS protest, but he named a song after it.Source: 8 of 19
9. Mark Ruffalo joined the human climate campaign.Source: 9 of 19
10. Russell Simmons was joined by Katy Perry and Russell Brand during OWS.Source: 10 of 19
11. Jay Leno protested the Brunei Hotels in Beverly Hills.Source: 11 of 19
12. Susan Sarandon joined OWS protests.Source: 12 of 19
13. Al Sharpton always gets his voice out to the masses during times of protest.Source: 13 of 19
14. Rev Run, Minister Benjamin Chavez Muhammad, and Alicia Keys at the Mobilization for Education Hip-Hop Summit Action Network’s protest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed education budget cuts.Source: 14 of 19
15. Anne Hathaway protested at Union Square for the Occupy Wall Street campaign with her boyfriend Adam Shulman.Source: 15 of 19
16. Actor Sean Penn and Reverend Jesse Jackson marched with activists during an anti-war rally.Source: 16 of 19
17. Spokesperson Hayden Panettiere at a conference for her Save the Whales campaign.Source: 17 of 19
18. John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged a ‘bed-in for peace’ and intended to stay in bed for seven days as a protest against war and violence in the world.Source: 18 of 19
19. Chris Brown, Wale, Nelly and a few more celebs posed with their hands up in support of Mike Brown.Source: 19 of 19
Little Caesars Founder Paid Rosa Parks’ Rent For Over A Decade was originally published on newsone.com