Who runs Spotify? Ed Sheeran.
Ed Sheeran has broken a new record on Spotify as the first artist to reach 500 million plays for a single song. Ed’s 2014 smash single “Thinking Out Loud” currently has half a billion plays on the streaming service.
Upon hearing the news, the UK singer/songwriter released a cheeky statement:
“Chuffed to hear that ‘Thinking Out Loud’ has had half-a-billion plays on Spotify, being the first artist to hit that milestone is amazing. Thanks to all the people who use this as a wedding song, soundtrack to a date, and as a way to woo someone into a Netflix and chill situation.”
Spotify also released a geographical analysis of where Ed’s music is played the most. The UK, Denmark, and Finland top the list for plays, but Ed is also popular in the United States, Australia, the Philippines, New Zealand, and Malaysia.
SOURCE: Spotify | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
1 of 10
1. Charli XCX can be found at the Top of the Billboard Charts for Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy”
2 of 10
2. Ellie Goulding’s “Lights” has been heard at almost every party you’ve been to.
3 of 10
3. Jessie Ware is a great representation of amazing talent coming from the UK.
4 of 10
4. Disclosure’s debut album “Settle” has topped the Billboard charts as well.
5 of 10
5. Sampha is one of the most talented singers and producers. You can find him on Drake’s latest album “Nothing Was The Same.”
6 of 10
6. FKA Twigs has a very promising career in the upcoming year, her cosmic style and soulful voice is remarkable.
7 of 10
7. La Roux’s “Bulletproof” was often sung by people who never even listened to Electronic music.
8 of 10
8. Jessie J’s “Price Tag” was heard everywhere, topping the Billboard charts.
9 of 10
9. One of “R&B’s Most Wanted,” Ed Sheeran has definitely made a solid name in the music industry.
10 of 10
10. Sam Smith’s debut LP “In The Lonely Hour” immediately made it to the Top 10 Billboard charts.
Guitar Hero: Ed Sheeran Breaks A New Spotify Record was originally published on globalgrind.com