You never know what goes on behind closed doors and Porsha Williams revealed a few secrets of her own during an in-depth interview with Access Hollywood, which she taped last Friday.
According to the “Real Housewives of Atlanta’ star, she suffered abuse at the hands of her ex-husband Kordell Stewart during their two-and-a-half year marriage. “The video [“Flatline”] does touch on domestic violence and some abuse I encountered in my marriage,” she said of the music video for her first single. “It’s not exact to what I went through, because, honestly, what I went through was a little bit worse in some instances.”
“What happened in the marriage,” host Billy Bush asked.
“Abuse. Physical abuse,” Porsha replied.
Billy followed up, “Did he hit you?”
“Yeah. There were several different occasions that this happened,” the 32-year-old beauty shared. “When you’re in an abusive situation, it kind of just builds, and it starts to get worse and worse. And people ask me, why didn’t you tell anybody or call the police or what have you? I just thought that I could make it better. I honestly thought after each situation that I would change this or I would change that, and therefore the outcome wouldn’t be the same. It doesn’t work like that.”
“I’m still realizing now that a lot of what happened, it wasn’t my fault,” she added.
Porsha went on the say that her ex-husband admitted to the violence. “When we were going through the divorce process, we had to sit in deposition hearing, and he didn’t deny it,” she revealed. “A lot of women who are in situations like I was in, I wanted to make it better. I was praying every day. I was cooking. I was smiling. The outside appearance was as if nothing was happening. Even though you’re being abused, you still love that person, you’re just trying to love them through it. And you’re trying to pray them through it and you’re not realizing that you can’t change a person, they have to change themselves.”
As far as injuries, the reality star said the mental abuse is what hurt the most. “I never went to the hospital. I never reported anything. There were [visible injuries], but I’ll tell you the ones that have stuck with me the most is the mental abuse. I had so much pride in being a wife and being a mother and what that meant to me was big,” she explained. “So for me to be told I was lazy, and that I was stupid and that I wasn’t good enough and that nothing I could do was right, that was really, really hard for me…When someone is constantly ridiculing you, I’m always trying to live up to what that person thinks of me, it’s hard.”
Access Hollywood reached out to Kordell about the abuse allegations, and he responded by saying, “It’s not true.”
“I’ve never abused her. Never put my hands on her. Never,” he said.
Check out clips from the interview below and share your thoughts in the comment section.
Check Out This Gallery
Celebrities Who’ve Survived Domestic Violence
1. La Toya JacksonSource:Amanda Edwards/Getty Images 1 of 21
2. Michel'leSource:Leon Bennett/Getty Images 2 of 21
3. Gabrielle UnionSource:Taylor Hill/Getty Images 3 of 21
4. NeNe LeakSource:Brian Ach/Getty Images 4 of 21
5. Mariah CareySource:Steve Granitz/Getty Images 5 of 21
6. Whitney HoustonSource:Mirrorpix/Getty Images 6 of 21
7. K. MichelleSource:Prince Williams/Getty Images 7 of 21
8. Evelyn LozadaSource:Leon Bennett/Getty Images 8 of 21
9. Tina TurnerSource:Alain MINGAM/Getty Images 9 of 21
10. Robin GivensSource:Ron Galella/Getty Images 10 of 21
11. Claudette OrtizSource:Steven TUDOR/Getty Images 11 of 21
12. Halle BerrySource:Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images 12 of 21
13. Tamar BraxtonSource:Bryan Steffy/Getty Images 13 of 21
14. Kelly RowlandSource:Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images 14 of 21
15. RihannaSource:Jason Merritt/Getty Images 15 of 21
16. Lisa WuSource:Paras Griffin/Getty Images 16 of 21
17. Jaslene GonzalezSource:Jerritt Clark/Getty Images 17 of 21
18. Keke WyattSource:Prince Williams/Getty Images 18 of 21
19. Christina AguileraSource:Jason LaVeris/Getty Images 19 of 21
20. Erica MenaSource:Prince Williams/GettyImages 20 of 21
21. Cicely TysonSource:Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images 21 of 21
Porsha Williams Reveals That Ex-Husband Kordell Hit Her On Several Occasions was originally published on hellobeautiful.com