Cheerios’ interracial family is back and they’re heading to the Super Bowl.
According to reports, the General Mills cereal will advertise during the game for the first time this year, and they will bring back the same stars from their unnecessarily-controversial campaign last spring.
In the new commercial, six-year old actress Grace Colbert returns to find out her fictional parents — a Black father and White mother — are having another baby. In response, the adorable curly-head star asks her on-screen dad for another addition to the family, a new puppy.
The original ad, one of the few to showcase racial diversity on television, sparked a vicious racist backlash online. Camille Gibson, Cheerios’ vice president of marketing, said “the comments that were made were, in our view, not [were not] family friendly.”
“We were trying to portray an American family. And there are lots of multicultural families in America today,” she explained on the “Today” show at the time. During an interview with New York Times this week, she added, “Like millions of Americans, we just fell in love with this family..The big game provided another opportunity to tell another story about family love.”
According to a General Mills spokesman, the new 30-second spot cost around $4 million and it’s “set to air during the first unscheduled time out during the game Sunday.”
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
The Most Racist Moments Of 2013
1. The Most Racist Moments Of The YearSource: 1 of 23
2. Black ESPN Sportscaster Receives Racist Letter From A ‘Fan’ [PHOTO]Source: 2 of 23
3. White Man Slaps Baby & Tells Mom To ‘Shut That N*gger Baby Up’Source: 3 of 23
4. Dear, Lisa Lampanelli: You Will Never Be A N*gga, So Stop Saying ItSource: 4 of 23
5. LL Cool J ‘Accidental Racist’ Lyrics: ‘In Its Proper Context, It Makes Sense”Source: 5 of 23
6. Twitter Reactions To Jamie Foxx’s Trayvon Martin T-Shirt Prove Racists Love Still The InternetSource: 6 of 23
7. 11-Year-Old Mexican-American Singer Taunted By Racist Tweets After Singing National AnthemSource: 7 of 23
8. Wait, What?! Paula Deen Wants Slaves Serving At Her Dinner Party + 3 Of Her Most Racist QuotesSource: 8 of 23
9. Lies Racists Tell: Paula Deen’s Sons Claim She’s No Racist & Even Taught Them Black HistorySource: 9 of 23
10. Stacey Dash Defends Paula Deen + 5 Other Non-Black Celebs Who’ve Used The N-WordSource: 10 of 23
11. WTF?! Rush Limbaugh Decides That He Can Now Say, ‘N*gga’ [VIDEO]Source: 11 of 23
12. Justin Bieber Drops ‘N-Word’ On New Track?Source: 12 of 23
13. Salon Writer Calls Eric Holder President Obama’s “Inner Ni***r!” Did He Go Too Far?Source: 13 of 23
14. New Cheerios Commercial Starring An Interracial Couple Causes Big StirSource: 14 of 23
15. Italy’s First Black Minister Attacked & Called A ‘Symbol Of A Hypocritical, Do-Gooding’Source: 15 of 23
16. First Indian Miss America Receives Support After Racist BacklashSource: 16 of 23
17. WTF?! 21-Year-Old White Girl Boasts Racist African Bday Party On Facebook [PHOTOS]Source: 17 of 23
18. Don Lemon, Your Mother’s Advice To You As A Child Will Not Save The World From Racism [VIDEO]Source: 18 of 23
19. Sorry Not Sorry: Barneys Offers Their ‘Deepest Apologies’ By Hiring A Civil Rights ExpertSource: 19 of 23
20. Kanye West Gives Middle Finger To Black Community: Wears Confederate Flag To BarneysSource: 20 of 23
21. GOP Thanks Rosa Parks For Ending Racism & ‘Black Twitter’s’ Responds With JokesSource: 21 of 23
22. New Miss France Celebrates Her Mixed-Race Heritage In The Midst Of Racist BacklashSource: 22 of 23
23. The N-Word Vs. African American?! TMZ Launches Poll On What To Call Black People Because Of Suge Knight's CommentSource: 23 of 23
They’re Back! Cheerios Features Its Famous Interracial Family For Super Bowl Spot was originally published on hellobeautiful.com