Erykah Badu loves the kids— so much so that the songstress made a surprise visit and gave an impromptu performance for students from The Future Project at Malcolm X Shabazz High School in Newark, N.J.
The mom of three spoke to the students about her experience as a teacher and her aspirations to open her own school. In case you didn’t know, Badu was about her education before she took on music full-time. She majored in theater and minored in physics at Grambling State University and went on afterwards to teach dance, theater, science, and math.
The “Hello” singer wants to build her very own school one day soon and gave some details around what it would ideally entail — from curriculum to hours and a shortened school week.
Just like every other person in the world, the kids fell in love with Erykah and named her an honorary Dream Director for The Future Project. The Future Project is in schools in New York, Detroit, Philadelphia, New Haven, Newark, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.
Check out the video of Erykah Badu’s visit to Newark and for more information on The Future Project, please visit TheFutureProject.org.
PHOTO CREDIT: YouTube
Erykah Badu's Most Outrageous Outfits
1. Matching is for losers.1 of 14
2. An extra-tall hat and a coat to match.2 of 14
3. Making sweats look cool on 106 & Park.3 of 14
4. She wore headphones as an accessory before everyone did.4 of 14
5. She also did denim on denim before it was cool.5 of 14
6. She'll rock kicks on the red carpet.6 of 14
7. All yellow everything.7 of 14
8. Known to pull a cowboy hat out of her collection.8 of 14
9. Another interesting hat.9 of 14
10. When she made feathers a fashion statement.10 of 14
11. The bag lady.11 of 14
12. She's never afraid to take hair risks.12 of 14
13. She was a vibrant stand-out at the Academy Awards.13 of 14
14. Only Erykah Badu can make a colorful windbreaker look this cool.14 of 14
Erykah Badu Visits Students In Newark, Reveals Plans To Open Her Own School was originally published on globalgrind.com