The endless stories of police officers abusing their power by killing or intentionally harming black people continue with each passing day. These days when you log into your social media accounts, you are likely to see a new hashstag of a black person who was the victim of police brutality and racial injustice. The latest case involves a Houston police officer who was caught on video brutally and repeatedly beating a black man senseless.
Unfortunately, the usual protocol followed when a police officer is caught on video beating, shooting or killing a black person is to simply put them on administrative leave (either with or without pay), but this time things turned out a bit differently. The Grio is reporting that the Houston, Texas police officer who was caught severely beating a black man with his baton, voluntarily stepped down from his position after the footage surfaced.
Via The Grio:
The video shows Officer Jairus Warren and his partner approaching a man slumped over on a bench at a train station around 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 14. Warren and the civilian, Darrell Giles, 31, are seen exchanging words just before Giles gets up. The officer then hits him at least 12 times before Giles falls down to the station platform, where he hit two more times.
Giles was taken to jail and charged with resisting arrest and criminal trespass, but the charges were later dropped. Giles told KTRK that he was told to get off the platform by Warren earlier in the morning and left, but came back to the bench to get his phone when he encountered the officer again.
After the Houston Metro Police Department concluded that Warren used excessive force and should be fired, the officer offered his resignation. The second officer, Daniel Reynoso, was suspended and ordered to undergo additional training.
At this point there are really no words to express the frustration, anger, hurt and disbelief at these continued incidents. Thankfully the officer is no longer on the force, but that is just a very small step in a much bigger picture between law enforcement and African Americans.
16 Videos That Made Houston's Southpark Shawty Go Viral
16 photos Launch gallery
1. Im in the hood waiting on @snoopdogg like ❗💃💃💃 @kingofthakountry #SouthparkShawty #Catchup🐢🐢🐢🐢🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
1 of 16
2. #Moodathin my boy @snoopdogg in town and I will be right here waiting dawg‼️‼️ #7203MLK #RalstonLiquorStore
2 of 16
3. They thought we was playing @southpark_kinglou ❗️ I had to relocate myself and make some boss moves dawg❗@snoopdogg I just want to let you know, I love ya nigga and I preciate everything you did for me dawg❗️
3 of 16
4. Waiting on Snoop and Wiz like❗ 💃💃💃 #SouthParkShawty #ImTheBeastNigga #Catchup🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
4 of 16
5. #HatersGotMeWrongDawg @southpark_shawty @cw39houston #NewsFix #TuneIn #BigThingsComing
5 of 16
6. I cuts up in the club dawg‼️ Had me a blast with @southpark_kinglou ❌ @cant.stop.da.crooks "Haters hate, players play and cheerleaders cheer" #TunechiVoice #SouthParkShawty #CatchUp🐢🐢🐢🐢 #StankyLeg💃🏾💃🏾💃🏾
6 of 16
7. #SoGoneChallenge #SouthParkShawty #Part1 #CatchUp 🐢🐢🐢🐢 🎤🎤 #Pause #HatersGotMeWrong 💯💯
7 of 16
8. #SoGoneChallenge #Part2 #SouthParkShawty #CatchUp 🐢🐢🐢🐢 🎤🎤🎤 video credit: @cant.stop.da.crooks
8 of 16
9. Change is good. As long as you have the desire to change for the better. I can hear the pain and hurt in her voice. All things are possible through Christ. It's gonna be a long road to redemption for @southpark_shawty but we are down for the long haul. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾 #SouthParkShawty #KingStoFinest #TimeForChange shot by: @cant.stop.da.crooks 🎥🎤🎤🎤
9 of 16
10. I all around the 🌎 world dawg❗💃💯 #CW39 #NewFix @cw39houston 🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
10 of 16
11. @snoopdogg nothing but love and respect from @southpark_shawty and the crew. Thank you for presenting this opportunity for Shawty. They don't make too many like you no more. #Salute now we gone work on getting #Shawty straight. #StayTuned @southpark_kinglou ❌ @cant.stop.da.crooks 💯💯
11 of 16
12. "I thought I was supposed to do a show tonight, they supposed to be picking me up at 8 o'clock" "I thought it was you know Lou ❗" It's ✌ Lou's❗💁💃💃💃 #SouthParkShawty #ImTheBeastNigga #Catchup🐢🐢🐢🐢🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
12 of 16
13. This a message to all my haters❗ #CatchUpNigga🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 #SouthParkShawty #KingStoFinest #ImTheBeastNigga 💯💪🔩
13 of 16
14. 😒 #Moodthin❗Ion't know why Meko think she can with me dawg❗She better be glad I ain't hit that matrix 💃 on her❗😂😂😭😭 #SouthParkShawty #ImTheBeastNigga #Catchup🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢 🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
14 of 16
15. #Moodathin 💃 That Future snapped on this dawg❗👌💯😎 #Future #MarriedToTheGame #tagafriend #SouthParkShawty #Catchup🐢🐢🐢 🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
15 of 16
16. Mood: ✌ I left home to be with my side piece #BigDarrell #SouthparkRoss #DontTellCesarShitDawg #SouthParkShawty 😍😘 🎬 Shotby: @southpark_kinglou 🎥
16 of 16