MLK statue at MacGregor Park in Houston (Photo by Kristy Gillentine, NEWS 92 FM)
(HOUSTON) — Houston unveiled a new statue of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The new MLK statue is a powerful reminder of King’s instrumental role in advancing civil rights.
During the March on Washington in 1963, King reminded the nation, “no, we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until justice roles down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.”
Houston Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee says the MLK statue is in MacGregor Park, where a special memorial plaza has been built.
“It has his words, it has an axis of his life from Memphis to Atlanta and it is going to tell the story of his life,” Jackson Lee said.
The statue is the first one placed in the deep south since the Martin Luther King Monument was unveiled in the nation’s capitol.
The public was invited to the unveiling Saturday. If you were there and took photos, send them to News92FMTIPS@gmail.com, and we’ll share them online.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12