Happy Birthday Heavy D, He Would Have Been 51 Today!
Heavy D was best known as a rapper, but he had a multi-faceted career that was broader than the scope of the average hip-hop artist.
1.) Hip-Hop Exec: Heavy D was the first rapper to become president of established record label, Uptown Records. Jay-Z made headlines when he was named president of Def Jam in 2005, but Heavy D took on the same role at Uptown in 1996.
2.) Uptown Upstart: The first act signed to Uptown Records was Heavy D & The Boyz, and their success paved the way for Mary J. Blige, Jodeci and Soul 4 Real on the record label. Heavy D’s talent helped transform owner Andre Harrell into a mogul.
3.) Rapper/Actor: In 1990, Heavy D made his move into the acting world and landed roles in both film and television. He was even seen in high profile movies like Be Cool (2005) and Tower Heist (2011).
4.) Commercial Checks: Before it was commonplace to see rappers as pitchmen in mainstream commercials, Heavy landed a very good look by doing a Sprite commercial. He undoubtedly paved the way for rappers to market themselves on a higher level.
5.) Ahead Of The Curve: Heavy D was one of first, if not the first, rappers to mention “cellular phone” in his lyrics.
We Remember Heavy D
1. 1. Heavy D was born Dwight Arrington Myers. (May 24, 1967 – November 8, 2011) (TheUrbanDaily)Source: 1 of 15
2. 2. Heavy D’s has one daughter named Xea Myers. she is now 15-years-old. (PR)Source: 2 of 15
3. 3. Heavy D starred in 24 movies/shows such as “Life” and “Tower Heist.” (PR)Source: 3 of 15
4. 4. Heavy D was a huge proponent of not swearing in songs. (Retna)Source: 4 of 15
5. 5. Heavy D initially came into the Hip-Hop game as a member of the group, “Heavy D & The Boyz.” (PR)Source: 5 of 15
6. 6. Heavy D’s first album “Living Large” dropped in 1987. (PR)Source: 6 of 15
7. 7. Heavy D has 7 albums: Living Large, Big Tyme, Peaceful Journey, Blue Funk, Nuttin’ But Love, Waterbed Hev, and Heavy. (PR)Source: 7 of 15
8. 8. Heavy D & The Boyz did the theme song for the popular 90s show In Living Color. (PR)Source: 8 of 15
9. 9. Heavy D was born in Jamaica in 1967 to a nurse and a machine technician. (PR)Source: 9 of 15
10. 10. Heavy D became the first signed artist under Andre Harrell’s label, Uptown Records. (PR)Source: 10 of 15
11. 11. Heavy D is the first rapper to become a president of a record label: Uptown Records. (PR)Source: 11 of 15
12. 12. Heavy D was responsible for launching the careers of Soul 4 Real, Monifah, and DJ Pete Rock. (PR)Source: 12 of 15
13. 13. Heavy D’s first movie role was in the film “Be Cool.” (PR)Source: 13 of 15
14. 14. Heavy D’s hometown is Mount Vernon in New York City. (Retna)Source: 14 of 15
15. 15. Heavy D starred in a 1990 Sprite commercial, the first rapper ever. (Retna)Source: 15 of 15