Paul Smith, the former volunteer fire chief in Washington County, called Tomlin a “no good Ni**er,” and added, “Yes I said it.” That was his reaction to the team waiting in the tunnel on Sunday at Chicago’s Solider Stadium while the national anthem played. Ironically, the team avoided taking the field to avoid controversy.
CBS News reported that The Cecil Township Board of Supervisors said in a statement on Tuesday that it cannot tolerate Smith’s comment, which “deeply disturbed” the board’s members.
Many people in the community also said the former fire chief crossed a line, according to CBS.
“I’m completely upset, especially for a town like this, coming from the fire chief, that’s disrespectful in my eyes. I don’t agree with it one bit,” Dylan Pareso, who lives near the firehouse, told CBS News’ Pittsburgh affiliate.
“For a fire chief or for anybody like that to say something like that is wrong, Mary Plumley, a community resident, added. “They don’t need to be in that position.”
Smith apologized for his remarks after coming under pressure.
“I am embarrassed at this. I want to apologize. I was frustrated and angry at the Steelers not standing the anthem. This had nothing to do with my Fire Department. I regret what I said,” he stated, according to CBS.
The Post-Gazette said Smith was a volunteer with the fire department for 23 years and recently appointed chief.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Fire Chief Resigns After Posting Racial Slur About Steelers Coach was originally published on newsone.com