Shortly after Venus Williams filed an emergency order in the fatal crash case leveled against her, a video shows that Williams lawfully entered the intersection.
According to USA Today, police said that new video surveillance footage showed Williams entering the intersection on June 9 legally before the collision in Palm Beach Gardens, Flordia. Linda Barson’s car collided with Williams’ SUV in an accident that left Linda Barson with multiple injuries and her husband, Jerome Barson, who was critically injured and later died.
This footage reverses the police’s initial belief that Williams was responsible for Barson’s death.
“Based on the evidence obtained in the ongoing investigation, it has been determined the vehicle driven by Venus Williams lawfully entered the intersection on a circular green traffic signal, and attempted to travel north through the intersection to Ballenisles Drive,” the police said in a statement.
“As Williams was traveling through the intersection, a Nissan Altima entered the intersection traveling south, and made a left turn in front of Williams’ vehicle, causing her to stop advancing through the intersection to avoid a collision.
“The traffic signal then cycled to green, at which time Barson continued westbound and entered the intersection. The front end of Barson’s vehicle collided the right front of Williams’ vehicle.”
This is a blow to the lawsuit that was filed against Williams on behalf of Barson’s estate.
Malcolm Cunningham, Williams’ lawyer, told USA TODAY that this update proves his client’s innocence.
“As the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department points out, once Ms. Williams entered the intersection lawfully, she had the right to proceed through the intersection and other vehicles including those with a red light changing to green, were obligated to yield the right-of-way to Ms. Williams.”
He added: “Ms. Williams is grateful for the continued diligence and efforts of the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department in its investigation. At the same time, as this process moves forward, she remains deeply saddened by the loss suffered by the Barson family and continues to keep them in her thoughts and prayers.”
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 20005 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 20006 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French Open8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US Open9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 200413 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US Open21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics25 of 25
Venus Williams Lawfully Entered Intersection Before Fatal Crash was originally published on hellobeautiful.com