While many people celebrated Mother’s Day with their loved ones on Sunday, Shontrell Murphy was headed to jail. According to WBRC, the 30-year-old was arrested for hitting her young son after he gave a Mother’s Day card to his grandmother but not to her. A Spartanburg Police Department report says Murphy is charged with cruelty to children for hitting her son on the head and slapping him multiple times.
Police officers responded to a disturbance call and found a woman with two children, a girl and a boy, and the boy was crying. The woman said she was the grandmother and that her daughter had slapped the crying child multiple times on the head. The boy’s sister told police that their mother was angry because her brother made a Mother’s Day card for their grandmother and not their mother. Officers discovered the torn Mother’s Day card at the scene.
After admitting to slapping the child, Murphy was arrested and charged with cruelty to children. However, she said she doesn’t believe she hit the child in a “hard or violent manner.” On Sunday, she released from the Spartanburg County Detention Center.
No official court date has been announced.
10 Celebrity Moms Celebrating Their First Mother's Day In 2016
9 photos Launch gallery
1. Chrissy Tiegen gave birth to daughter Luna Simone Stephens with husband John Legend back on April 14, 2016
1 of 9
2. Tyra Banks will celebrate her first Mother's Day this year after having son York via surrogate with boyfriend Erik Asla.
2 of 9
3. Coco Austin gave birth to her first child, daughter Chanel Nicole Marrow in November 2015.
3 of 9
4. After splitting with husband Brian Austin Green in 2015, Megan Fox debuted her third baby bump last month leaving fans wondering if her ex is the father.
4 of 9
5. Eva Mendes is already a mom to daughter Esmeralda. She and Ryan Gosling announced in April that they are expecting their second child together.
5 of 9
6. Teyana Taylor gave birth to daughter Iman Shumpert Jr. back in December 2015.
6 of 9
7. Kerry Washington debuted baby bump number two at the 2016 MET Gala. She is already mom to two year old daughter Isabelle.
7 of 9
8. 49-year-old Janet Jackson announced that she is expecting her first child with husband Wissam.
8 of 9
9. Rob Kardashian has confirmed that Blac Chyna is pregnant with his first child, and her second.
9 of 9