Carl Paladino, a wealthy New York developer and honorary co-chair of Donald Trump’s campaign, is receiving a hail of criticism for making racist and hateful comments about President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, USA Today reports.
The weekly publication Artvoice surveyed several prominent Buffalo, New York residents about their hopes for 2017. In remarks that appeared Thursday, Paladino said he hopes the president catches mad cow disease.
He then attacked the first lady, calling her a male who should be “let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla,” Artvoice reported.
Paladino, a Republican who ran unsuccessfully for New York governor and sits on the Buffalo School Board, faces backlash from his own family.
William Paladino, who operates the family’s development firm, criticized his father’s comments, calling them “disrespectful and absolutely unnecessary” on the company’s Facebook page.
According to USA Today, the Trump transition team had this to say: “Carl’s comments are absolutely reprehensible, and they serve no place in our public discourse.”
The Buffalo News said a chorus of voices in New York, from Gov. Andrew Cuomo to county officials and community organizations have denounced Paladino’s comments. Many are calling for him to resign from the school board.
But Paladino is doubling down. He confirmed his comments to The News, stating, “Yeah, I’m not politically correct. They asked what I want, and I told them.”
According to The News, the disgraced businessman issued a statement denying that his comments were racist but were instead intended to criticize Obama’s policy in Syria and for commuting the sentences of a record number of federal inmates.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Trump Campaign Official Under Fire Over Racist Remarks About Obamas was originally published on newsone.com