2016 has been the roughest year ever for Toya Wright, who tragically lost both of her brothers to gun violence just a couple of months ago. Sadly, another family member has been added to the list.
The TV personality posted a photo on Instagram mourning the loss of her godmother, who passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer.
“I lost my godmother who was like a sister to me yesterday,” she wrote in the caption. “This year has been extremely tough for my family and I. First my brothers and now my nanny who I grew up in the house with. Nanny I’m gonna miss you so much. Kiss Wina, Frank, Josh and Rudy for me…. It’s so hard to process this.”
I lost my godmother who was like a sister to me yesterday.💔 This year has been extremely tough for my family and I. First my brothers and now my nanny who I grew up in the house with. Nanny I'm gonna miss you so much. Kiss Wina, Frank, Josh and Rudy for me….👼🏽 It's so hard to process this. 😢🙏🏾💔 #cantgetabreak #fuckcancer #restinpeace #iloveyoukathy #myangel
Wright and her ex-husband Lil’ Wayne reconnected after the shooting deaths of her brothers Josh and Rudy. Although Wayne did not attend the funeral to avoid causing a media frenzy at the service, Toya has gone on record to say that Wayne has been extremely supportive during her time of grief.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Wright family during this difficult time.
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.Source:Getty 14 of 14
IMAGE CREDIT: Getty, Instagram