A Chicago-area mother is mourning the death of her daughter after she purposefully ingested poisonous exotic seeds, NY Daily News reports.
Lucia Anderson died last month after taking “pong pong” seeds purchased from a Thai retailer.
“It was slow, and it was painful,” Natosha Anderson told ABC7 .
Natosha explained that her daughter was struggling with her identity and constant bullying from her peers during her transition. Despite the challenges, she expressed she had no idea of Lucia’s suicidal thoughts.
The poison, which sells for $5 online, causes the victim to become sick after ingesting.
“I can go online and purchase something for $5, and that can literally devastate a family and kill someone. I don’t understand,” her mother stated.
Anderson hopes by speaking out, no other family will have to deal with the grief of losing a child.
A UCLA study showed that nearly 40% of those who self-identify as transgender attempt suicide at one point during their lives. Let’s help bring awareness to this pain so none of our sisters or brothers have to suffer in silence.
Rest in power, Lucia.