Listen Live
97.9 The Box Featured Video
Chicago Bears v Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Source: Warren Little / Getty

The Seattle Seahawks’ fullback, Derrick Coleman has been arrested on hit and run charges, but his lawyer says that Derrick Coleman may have suffered a concussion during the car crash which may be the reason for his odd behavior that day.
Coleman, 24, is the only “legally deaf” player in the NFL and according to his interview special that he and his mom did, he’s been legally deaf since he was a toddler, he was diagnosed with a genetic and incurable hearing impairment.

He lip reads and on the day of his accident, his lawyer, Stephen Hayne is saying that there was something wrong with his hearing aids. Like Derrick says, “as long as I can remember, I’ve had hearing aids.”
Coleman’s lawyer said, “He was clearly not in his right mind after the accident, and that would probably be due to a concussion, but that’s speculation as well. We don’t know. But his walking away from the accident is absolutely out of character for who he is and how he would normally respond to a situation like that.”
Coleman was found a few blocks away from the accident that he walked away from and he was immediately arrested for vehicular assault and hit and run and shortly after those charges came about, Coleman was suspended by the Seahawks indefinitely.
Yesterday in a statement by his lawyer, may have fallen asleep at the wheel.
“On the evening of October 14, 2015, Seattle Seahawk Fullback Derrick Coleman, Jr.. was involved in a two-car collision soon after leaving a team meeting. While the facts of the case are still being determined, it seems Derrick may have fallen asleep while driving home from a Seahawks’ facility. The health and well-being all involved is our primary concern, and we are thankful to report that both parties are expected to make a full recovery. We will continue to work closely with the local officials while a full investigation is being conducted.”
The Bellevue Police Chief Steve Mylett said that they are concerned that perhaps Coleman’s hearing aid batteries were low and that is in question at the time.
He did tell the police that he was not under any drug or alcohol influence, but they did conduct a routine test of blood work to confirm this was true.
Coleman is being held without bail and is waiting for his first court appearance.