Not sure what to get your fitness fanatic friend for Christmas? Well what if I told you that you can make her three RAD gifts without spending a dime. That’s right – you probably have all the supplies you need to craft her up something special right in your crib. So unlock your inner DIY spirit and get ready to create the best fitness-inspired gifts ever.
The T-Shirt Tote
Gone are the days of exercising in oversized t-shirts ladies, however before you throw out those large and in charge graphic tees let’s make some tote bags. Great for transporting healthy snacks or even workout clothes. This no-sew tote takes only 10 minutes – so grab some scissors and let’s get started.
1. Lay your old t-shirt out, smooth it out and then fold it in half.
2. Then cut out the neck, the sleeves and the bottom.
3. Using a ruler cut 1 inch slits all the way across the bottom. They should be about 2 inches long.
4. Turn the shirt inside out and tie the slits into knots. Take your time so you don’t skip a slit.
5. Turn the shirt back to the right side and pow – a t-shirt tote in less than 10 mins.
The T-Shirt Headband
Woven headbands are so in right now, but I feel like they’re totally overpriced. At up to $18 each, this RAD trend can get expensive – especially if you want different colors to match all of your workout outfits. So after looking closely at one I made my own using the cut off bottom from the same t-shirt we just made that tote with.
1. Cut the fabric into five long strips. Each about 1 inch wide and twice the length of the measurement of your head.
2. Stack all five strips and either sew them or glue them together. I sewed mine. Doesn’t have to be fancy, jus secure.
3. Then pull each piece of fabric until they are stretched and the edges are curled.
4. Lay your strips down and tape it at the top – this will help keep things tight once you start weaving.
5. Now split the strips into three on the left and two on the right. Keeping these sections separate is important.
6. Starting with the left section (of three strands) grab the outside strip. Cross it over the one right next to it on the right. Then grab the strip on the right of this section and cross it over the one next to it on the left. This is basic braiding boo.
7. Then move the center strand over to the section of two strands on the right.
8. Repeat the braiding sequence by crossing the outside strand over the one right next to it on the left. Then grab the strip on the left of this section and cross it over the one next to it on the right.
9. Keep moving the middle strand from left to right, always remember to start the braid with the outside strand and adjust the tightness as you go.
10. Keep the tension all the way down and when you get to the end of how long you want it either sew or glue the ends together.
11. Then overlap the ends and sew or glue them together.
12. You can leave it like this or if you want a more polished look cut a rectangular piece of fabric, fold the edges in and wrap it around the headband.
13. Sew or glue one edge to the headband, roll the other end in and sew or glue it down too. That’s it – braided headband for free ninety nine. My kind of weave!
The Yoga Mat Strap Made With Scraps
All those removable cross body straps that came with your handbags can be put to good use with two key rings and some ribbon. Meet my DIY yoga mat strap made with scraps.
1. Attach a key ring to either side of the cross body strap.
2. Thread about 14 inches of ribbon through each key ring.
3. Tie your yoga mat with the ribbon into a bow and head out to your favorite place to savasana in style.
Robbie Ann Darby (RAD Experience) is a professional FitGirl, Group Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer in NYC. Follow her sweaty life on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more fun health and fitness tips!
Celebrity Fit Club: Our Favorite Stars Share Their Workout Regimen On Instagram
1. Celebrity Fit Club1 of 47
2. Morris Chestnut- On The Treadmill2 of 47
3. Usher-Run It3 of 47
4. Angela Simmons-Simple & Effective4 of 47
5. Angela Simmons-Go Deeper!5 of 47
6. Angela Simmons-Can't Stop, Won't Stop6 of 47
7. Angela Simmons-It's A Lifestyle7 of 47
8. Angela Simmons-Determination Is Key8 of 47
9. Angela Simmons-No Days Off9 of 47
10. Angela Simmons-Morning Training Sessions10 of 47
11. Angela Simmons-Live Life Out Loud11 of 47
12. Angela Simmons-Pose For The Camera12 of 47
13. Angela Simmons-Bend & Stretch13 of 47
14. Angela Simmons-Ready For Her Close Up14 of 47
15. Jordin Sparks-The Fit Selfie15 of 47
16. Jordin Sparks-Engages Her Core16 of 47
17. Jordin Sparks-Getting It Right & Tight17 of 47
18. Jordin Sparks-Gaining Weight18 of 47
19. Jason Derulo-Shooting In The Gym19 of 47
20. Jason Derulo-No Gym, No Problem20 of 47
21. Mo'Nique-Always Motivating21 of 47
22. Mo'Nique-Workin' Those Arms22 of 47
23. Mo'Nique-Keeping It Real, Keeping It Tight23 of 47
24. Mo'Nique-Makes Us Remember To Work For It24 of 47
25. Mo'Nique-Never Gives Up25 of 47
26. Mo'Nique-Showing Off What Amazing Looks Like26 of 47
27. Keri Hilson-Takin' The Stairs27 of 47
28. Brandy-Getting It In!28 of 47
29. Brandy-Making Transformations29 of 47
30. Jeanette Jenkins-She Is The Prototype30 of 47
31. Jeanette Jenkins-She Plans Ahead To Get Ahead31 of 47
32. Jeanette Jenkins-Flexible On Fridays32 of 47
33. Jeanette Jenkins-Fit Foodie33 of 47
34. Kelly Rowland-She's Got Friends In Fit Places34 of 47
35. Kelly Rowland-Drink Good, Look Good35 of 47
36. Kelly Rowland-Abs For Days36 of 47
37. Serena Williams-She Knows How To Hang37 of 47
38. Mary J. Blige-Her Hubby's Getting It In!38 of 47
39. Mary J. Blige-Throwin' Them Bows!39 of 47
40. Mary J. Blige-Getting Them Glutes!40 of 47
41. Mary J. Blige-Hard Work Pays Off, Look At That Body!41 of 47
42. Mary J. Blige--Work Them Arms Girl!42 of 47
43. Mary J. Blige-She's Got Legs & She Knows How To Use Them43 of 47
44. Michelle Obama-Let's Move!44 of 47
45. Sherri Shepherd-No More Girdles!45 of 47
46. Sherri Shepherd-Dance The Pounds Away46 of 47
47. Khloe Kardashian-She Works Hard Even When She Doesn't Want To47 of 47