Jason Collins made history on Sunday by signing with the Brooklyn Nets, becoming the NBA’s first openly gay player. And by Tuesday, just two days later, his jersey ranked the league’s top-seller online.
According to reports, Collins’ No. 98 Brooklyn Nets uniform is currently the highest-selling jersey on NBA.com, defeating basketball favorites like Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Blake Griffin. “Jason Collins’ return to the league represents a historic moment, and fans continue to show their support by (buying) Jason’s jersey,” said Vicky Picca, the league’s senior vice president.
Exact sales figures have yet to be released, but The Wall Street Journal reported “hundreds of inquiries” were received at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue and on NBAStore.com.
The highly-publicized player, who didn’t belong to a team when he came out the closet last spring, signed a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn team and chose his number as a tribute to Matthew Shepard, a gay college student from Wyoming who was murdered in a hate crime in 1998.
Shepard’s family recently spoke to ESPN and said “Matt would’ve loved Jason.”
“I think he’d sit down and Jason would probably start running away from him because Matt wouldn’t stop talking to him,” said father Dennis Shepard.
Shepard allowed himself a laugh over the memory of his precocious son, then he was back to discussing the beauty of watching Jason Collins fouling and screening the Lakers as often as he could.
“Matt would see this as a great day,” his father said.
Collins played his first game a Net jersey last Sunday in a victory against the Los Angeles Lakers. Tonight, the team came up short in a 80-124 defeat against the Portland Trail Blazers.
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery
Out Of The Closet: 24 Gay Black Celebrities
1. 14249758202245Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. Djuan Trent2 of 24
3. Robin RobertsSource:Getty 3 of 24
4. Michael SamSource:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mister CeeSource:Getty 5 of 24
6. Andre Leon TalleySource:Getty 6 of 24
7. RuPaulSource:Getty 7 of 24
8. Angela DavisSource:Getty 8 of 24
9. Wanda SykesSource:Getty 9 of 24
10. Nicki MinajSource:Getty 10 of 24
11. Frank OceanSource:Getty 11 of 24
12. Jason CollinsSource:Getty 12 of 24
13. Lee DanielsSource:Getty 13 of 24
14. Azealia BanksSource:Getty 14 of 24
15. Meshell NdegeocelloSource:Getty 15 of 24
16. Le1fSource:Getty 16 of 24
17. Sheryl SwoopesSource:Getty 17 of 24
18. Johnny mathisSource:Getty 18 of 24
19. Don LemonSource:Getty 19 of 24
20. E. Denise SimmonsSource:Getty 20 of 24
21. Emil WilbekinSource:Getty 21 of 24
22. Tracy ChapmanSource:Getty 22 of 24
23. Alice WalkerSource:Getty 23 of 24
24. Rebecca WalkerSource:Getty 24 of 24
Numbers Don’t Lie: Jason Collins Is The Most Popular Player In The NBA Right Now was originally published on hellobeautiful.com