The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @979thebox
Kanye West is stepping out of the shadow of bad press by spreading a little positivity to the youth in his hometown of Chicago.
The Yeezus star recently announced the opening of his non-profit organization Donda’s House, which he created in memory of his late mother Dr. Donda West. The charity is geared toward Chi-town teens with the focus of “implementing arts and literature experiences that transform youth.”
“My mom spent her life as an educator and I am happy that Donda’s House can pick up her torch and honor her life’s mission,” the rapper said in a press release.
The non-profit’s main youth education and training program is called “Got Bars.” Donda’s House co-founder and assistant director Che Rhymefest Smith says the initivite “will change our youth musically, get them healthy and keep them busy in a creative, peaceful environment.
“I am so happy to launch “Got Bars” to honor Kanye West’s mother’s memory and to fulfill one of my Aldermanic campaign goals,” Smith said. “I know it will be an even stronger program because of our partnership with the ARK of St. Sabina.”
According to reports, this is how the new organization will work:
The “Got Bars” program invites 15 – 24 year olds to apply for participation. The Program Goals include:
1. Each participant will create an original written piece that will be recorded or published and performed.
2. Each participant will improve his/her physical health through exercise and nutrition.
3. Each participant will learn life-skills (e.g. etiquette training, goal –setting, media-literacy, etc.)
Kudos to Kanye on keeping his mother’s legacy behind.
Check Out This Gallery
Gifts I Would Buy My Dad If He Were Kanye West
1. Givenchy Black White Leather High Top Sneakers ($595)Source: 1 of 10
2. Alexander McQueen Green Hand Painted Camouflage Python Leather Bomber ($11,195)Source: 2 of 10
3. Master-Piece Surpass Leather-Trimmed Canvas Backpack ($470)Source: 3 of 10
4. BALMAIN Distressed Leather Biker Pants ($1,175)Source: 4 of 10
5. Smythson 13" Laptop Case ($2,030)Source: 5 of 10
6. Jack Spade Woven Leather Bi-fold Wallet ($165)Source: 6 of 10
7. Bvlgari Diagono Chrono Automatic Watch ($5,750)Source: 7 of 10
8. LCD2 Rosewood lambskin leather ($995)Source: 8 of 10
9. Airbus A320 ($70 MILLION)Source: 9 of 10
10. Versace Nappa Biker's Jacket ($2,922)Source: 10 of 10
Kanye West Gives Back To Chicago With ‘Got Bars’ Music Education Program was originally published on hellobeautiful.com