Democrats in the Senate must find a way to move forward with the Republican Party soon taking control of Congress and the White House.
The New York Times reports that they’ve come up with a surprising strategy of creating a legislative agenda that aligns with President-elect Donald Trump’s policies, but which GOP lawmakers disfavor.
During his campaign, Trump called for a policy agenda that includes initiatives Democrats support, such as major spending to repair the nation’s infrastructure and penalizing American companies that move jobs overseas. He’s at odds with establishment Republicans on those and several other issues. That creates an opening to drive a wedge between Trump and Republican lawmakers.
The Democrats are fighting an uphill legislative battle. With an eye on regaining power, the Times said they seek to “make common cause where they can” with Trump in hopes of recapturing White working-class voters who fled the Democratic party in the election.
The Senators, under the leadership of newly elected Democratic minority leader Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), plan to unveil a populist economic and ethics initiative they think will work. They are unlikely to compromise on certain issues, such as tax cuts for the rich and the deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants.
Dems may have to toss the plan, however, if Trump yields to the conservative establishment he criticized during his campaign.
SOURCE: New York Times
Calls Grow For Trump To Dump Racist Bannon, Build Diverse Staff
Rev. Jackson On Threats Posed By A Trump Presidency: Our Fears Are Legitimate Until They’re Relieved
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12