The controversial National Anthem protest is over for one National Football League Player.
Citing progress toward ending police violence, Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall said on Sunday he plans to stand for the anthem in the second half of the season, USA Today reports.
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick inspired Marshall and other athletes to protest police brutality and racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem. Marshall explained his decision in a detailed social media post.
“I’m encouraged with the many productive discussions and progress that has taken place as the Denver Police department has decided to review its use of force policy,” Marshall said. “I’m proud to have joined so many of my peers throughout sports who’ve also made their own statements.”
Joining the protest cost Marshall several endorsements, including CenturyLink and the Air Academy Federal Credit Union, the Washington Post
The credit union’s president, Glenn Strebe, said in September that the bank “respected” Marshall for expression his views, but his action was inconsistent with the views of the credit union and its members.
SOURCE: USA Today, Washington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Facebook
Racists Attack Nebraska Football Player For National Anthem Protest
Richard Sherman On Protests & Police Brutality: People Are Still Missing The Point
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12