On Tuesday, white actress Ellen Barkin turned to Twitter to ask for help understanding the controversy about Nate Parker‘s new movie The Birth Of A Nation and his 1999 rape acquittal.
Barkin, who currently stars in TNT’s Animal Kingdom, was clear that her questions was directed only at her non-white followers, writing “Please don’t offer suggestions if ur white like me.”
Twitter user @XLNB initially responded by asking Barkin to clarify her question. But he didn’t wait long for a response before quickly covering all the bases in explaining how Parker’s 1999 case presents a dilemma for many Black viewers, especially women.
@XLNB went on to explain to Barkin how many viewers are torn between supporting a film that challenges white supremacy and boycotting an artist who has violated rape culture. He closed his thread by linking to two pieces written by Black women, DelaFro_ and April Reign, that further deconstruct the issues of race and rape culture.
Barkin thanked him for his “stunningly concise, thoughtful & thought-provoking response” before re-tweeting his entire thread to her 139-thousand followers. The Birth Of A Nation is in theaters nation-wide Friday.
SOURCE: Twitter | PHOTO: Getty
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12