Following a scathing federal report, Baltimore is scrambling to reform its police force.
The Baltimore Sun reports that Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake sent a letter to Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan requesting more than $30 million to pay for the reforms.
According to The Sun, the letter was made public on Tuesday and marks a reversal of the mayor’s previous statements about not seeking state or federal funding to improve the police department.
She included in the budget request $20 million for an “Early Warning System” to uncover patterns of police misconduct, as well as $1.1 million to hire experts to train the police force on how to conduct appropriate sexual assault investigations.
The U.S. Department of Justice launched a probe of the Baltimore Police Department after the uprising triggered by Freddie Gray’s death in 2015. Investigators uncovered widespread policing misconduct, especially in the city’s Black community, as well as a pattern of dismissing reported sexual assaults.
Following release of the report, Baltimore agreed to reform its police force. The city is now negotiating a consent decree with the DOJ.
A spokeswoman for the governor told The Sun that he’s “deeply committed to building a Baltimore City that is safer, more vibrant, and a better place to live, work, and raise a family.” Hogan also promised to continue to collaborate with the city’s leadership toward that end.
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
DOJ: Baltimore Police Regularly Violate Constitutional Rights, Use Excessive Force Against Blacks
WATCH: Baltimore Police Investigating Unwarranted Arrest Of Teen After Video Surfaces Online
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12