Ramsey Orta, the Staten Island man who filmed Eric Garner‘s death, has been sentenced to four years in prison in a (supposedly) unrelated weapon and drugs case. Is Orta the victim of police retaliation?
If you’ll recall, Garner died after an NYPD officer put him into a chokehold in 2014. Garner repeatedly told the surrounding officers he couldn’t breathe, but Officer Daniel Pantaleowas relentless enough in his hold that it killed Garner. Orta got it all on tape.
New reports say that Orta is being charged for selling heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, oxycodone, and anti-anxiety pills to an officer nine times. He is also being charged for the .25-caliber handgun he was allegedly caught with.
1. Kobe Bryant and most of his Los Angeles Lakers teammates rocked “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts during pre-game warmups before taking a win against the Sacramento Kings.
1 of 9
2. Cleveland Browns cornerback Johnson Bademosi rocks an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt during warm-ups before a Sunday game.
2 of 9
3. St. Louis Rams players Jared Cook and wide receivers Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt take part in the silent demonstration with their “Hands Up!” on the field to protest police violence.
3 of 9
4. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an “I can’t breathe” tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
4 of 9
5. Soccer player Anthony Ujah showed his support for Eric Garner after scoring a goal.
5 of 9
6. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an “I can’t breathe” tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
6 of 9
7. Detroit Lions’ Reggie Bush decided to wear a warm-up shirt with the phrase “I can’t breathe” scrawled over the front as a way to protest the death of Eric Garner and challenge police violence nationwide.
7 of 9
8. During the warm-up session for the Chicago vs. Golden State game, Chicago Bulls superstar Derrick Rose was seen rocking a t-shirt that read “I Can’t Breathe,” in honor of Eric Garner.
8 of 9
9. St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Davin Joseph wrote Garner’s last words on his cleats ahead of a game against the Washington Redskins.
9 of 9
Continue reading SMH: The Man Who Filmed Eric Garner’s Death Just Got A Prison Sentence
“I Can’t Breathe!” Sports Players Who Stand In Solidarity With Eric Garner, Mike Brown Protesters (PHOTOS)