East Tennessee State University campus police arrested a White student on Wednesday and charged him with civil rights intimidation for wearing a gorilla mask and taunting Black Lives Matter protesters with bananas, the New York Daily News reports.
WCYB-TV said freshman Tristan Rettke told the police that he learned about the demonstration on the app Yik Yak and tried “to provoke the protesters.”
The students had gathered on campus to protest fatal police shootings of unarmed Black men in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Tulsa, Oklahoma.
School officials told WJHL-TV that Rettke is now on interim suspension. They also met with students on campus for a dialogue. In a statement, administrators denounced Rettke’s actions, saying it was contrary to the university’s values.
SOURCE: NY Daily News, WCYB-TV, WJHL-TV | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter
Former Ole Miss Student Pleads Guilty To Hanging Noose On Black Statue
Twitter User Mocks Proud Black College Graduate’s Photo With Nutella Blackface
Also On 97.9 The Box:
The 12 Best Celebrity Eggplants So Far… (PHOTOS)
12 photos Launch gallery
1. Lawd! “America’s Next Top Model” Winner Keith Carlos’ Eggplant Looks…Amazing.
1 of 12
2. If Ca$h Out’s Rap Career Doesn’t Work Out, We Have Another Suggestion.
2 of 12
3. Kevin Hart May Be Short, But His ________ Ain’t.
3 of 12
4. Nick Jonas Done Grown Up, Huh?
4 of 12
5. Trey Schlongz.
5 of 12
6. More Body, More Bulge with Kevin Hart.
6 of 12
7. We Never Get Tired Of Breezy’s Man Parts.
7 of 12
8. Good GAWD B.o.B.!
8 of 12
9. Zammmmnnnn August!
9 of 12
10. Jesus Be A Fence. B.o.B. & His Eggplant Are On Fleek.
10 of 12
11. Gotta Love A Man In A Thong, Especially If His Name Is Jamie Foxx.
11 of 12
12. Looks Like Bieber’s Working With A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’.
12 of 12