Today is National HIV Testing Day!
National HIV Testing Day is an annual campaign coordinated by the National Association of People With AIDS to encourage people of all ages to get tested.
In order to protect yourself from HIV, get tested today.
HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is a virus that attacks and breaks down the body’s immune system or the “internal defense force” that fights off infections. When the immune system becomes weak, our protection against illnesses decreases which progresses to serious often life-threatening, infections and cancers. Nearly 1.2 million people are living with HIV and almost one out of five don’t know that they are infected. This serious disease is spreading and people don’t know the basic facts about HIV.
Below are 8 quick facts about HIV you should know:
1. HIV Causes AIDS.
2. Anyone Can Get HIV.
3. It Usually Takes Many Years Before HIV Breaks Down And Causes AIDS.
4. If You Have HIV, The Right Medications Help HIV Not Progress To AIDS For Years Or Decades.
5. There Are Either Several Symptom Stages Of HIV Or No Symptoms.
6. There Is Absolutely No Danger From Casual Contact With People With AIDS.
7. Only You Can Decide What Risks Are Worth Taking And What Risks Are Not.
8. Getting Tested Is The Best Way To Protect Yourself.
If you want to know more about HIV and protecting yourself, check out these websites:
The Box will be out at Greenspoint Mall promoting their annual “Hip Hop 4 HIV” on August 10th, 2012:
Houston Department of Health and Human Services
Greenspoint Mall (Dillard’s Wing)
12300 North Freeway
Houston, TX 77060
Hours: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Testing offered: (HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea)
Results: HIV and Syphilis provided same day, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea a few days later by phone.
Click here to find more testing locations!